Kia ora Whanau,
We have decided that we will be participating in the National Shake Out 2018 - which is a nation-wide earthquake drill held on Thursday 18th October 2018.
Over the coming days we will be introducing and discussing the drill with the children during mat-times and throughout the day. We will also be taking the opportunity to discuss and explore with the children what an earthquake is, and how it happens.
This is all part of our emergency planning programme and our developing our preparedness in the event that we may have an earthquake.
We will be teaching our children how to:
1) Identify safe places to Drop, Cover and Hold within your school/ECE and practise the Drop, Cover and Hold drill with your staff and students.
2) DROP down on your hands and knees. This protects you from falling but lets you move if you need to.
3) COVER your head and neck (or your entire body if possible) under a sturdy table or desk (if it is within a few steps of you).
4) HOLD on to your shelter (or your position to protect your head and neck) until the shaking stops. If the shaking shifts your shelter around, move with it.
5) If there is no shelter nearby, or you are outside, DROP down on your hands and knees and COVER your head and neck with your arms and hands, and HOLD on.
If you would like to know more about this you can visit: https://www.shakeout.govt.nz
or if you have any questions please see the teachers.